short guide will help you converting your flight helmet with the integrated chin/nape
The integrated chin/nape strap assembly is
a patented device that threads through the helmet to form a continuous loop smaller than
the smallest head circumference. The design permits simultaneous adjustment of the
chinstrap and the nape strap; cross straps in the nape area respond to chinstrap
adjustments to provide a snug, stable, and comfortable fit.
the integrated chin/nape strap is
presently featured in helmets such as the HGU-55/P, HGU-85/P (Night Attack) helmet, and
the HGU-68/P (TACAIR) helmet. The HGU-68/P & HGU-87/P helmets with the integrated
chin/nape strap assembly have been successfully windblast-tested at 600 knots.
1) Remove existing chinstrap and nape strap.
2) Remove earcups, communication cord, and TPL liner.
3) If the helmet is Combat Edge equipped, remove the bladder & hardware.
4) Align template with the existing chin strap and nape strap holes. Using a pencil and
the proper-size template, mark each side of the helmet shell with the new hole
5) Using a center punch, indent the shell at the new hole locations.
6) Using a 1/16" bit, drill a pilot hole in each location. Exercise care when
drilling through pile (inside helmet cloth).
7) Using a 1/4" bit, finish drilling the three holes.
8) Using a flexible straight edge, draw two lines connecting the outer edges of the 3
chinstrap holes in the front of the shell.
9) Elongate the three chinstrap holes for eyelet installation using a small saw blade to
cut slot. File as necessary until eyelet fits.
10) Insert one side tab of plastic strap grommet into slot in shell from outside, gently
work two small end tabs into shell, and then work the final side tab through slot in
11) Fill old nape strap hole with epoxy. Allow epoxy to harden properly before
12) Trim pile fastener or leather as necessary to ensure eyelet slot is fully
13) Re-adhere pile fastener or leather to shell, this is the cloth inside that the earcups
14) Trim the aft lower corners of the helmet liner as required for attachment of the nape
straps and nape pad eyelets.
15) Insert left and right nape straps through the eyelets from front to rear.
16) Insert nape straps through nape pad.
17) Install chin/nape straps with attaching hardware.
18) If Combat Edge kit was removed- reinstall at this time.
19) Install helmet liner (TPL, etc).
20) Route ear-to-ear cord between liner and edgeroll and install earcups.
21) Have crewmember don helmet.
22) Adjust height of nape strap pad by loosening attaching hardware, rotating nape strap
pad strap(s) up or down, and tightening hardware.
23) Adjust nape strap tension using nape strap clamps on the left and right nape straps.